Tuesday, April 1, 2008

1000 Baths



More often than not in the evenings it is usually my responsibility to bathe my two children. Since they were both babies, I found it a lot easier to just get in the bath tub with them, so most evenings around 7:30 or 8:00, we round up the kids and head to the bathtub. I get in the tub and bathe the kids and Sondra gets them out when they are done.




Tonight in the bath (bubble bath) it occurred to me that I have probably at this point in Jay's life (he's 4) given him over 1000 baths. We had a blast in the bubbles tonight because Josie and Jay both discovered that they could make me look like a snowman pretty easily. Jay also discovered that a washcloth wadded tightly and dipped in bubbles looks a lot like a snow ball. So, we had our own little version of a snowball fight in the tub.




My afterthoughts about this experience took me to how many baths have fallen into the mundane, boring, and (sorry to say) burdensome. These days are FLYING by, and yet I waste so many of them. There have probably been 1000 bath times in the tub with Jay. There will probably not be 1000 more with him, and because Josie is a girl, we may not even make it to 1000:(




May God help us all to find joy in the ordinary things with our children and make them extraordinary. How many things will we get to do with our kids 1000 times?


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet! I love your babies! You and Sondra too of course! "T"

Anonymous said...

I BET THOSE BUBBLES STICK REALLY GOOD TO YOU! LOVE YA! T

Wade Hinton said...

They do indeed...

Anonymous said...

Coach,

Why are you wearing a sweater in the bathtub?

Wade Hinton said...

come on now... Don't hate!

Donna said...

Um, I have six children, and I don'think we've even reached the 500 mark, no kidding. Maybe I should move to France?

Wade Hinton said...

Sondra is a bath Nazi. Personally, I think kids are supposed to be a little dirty. Baths and teeth brushing are both overrated. Josie has her 8 teeth brushed so often that she has acquired a taste for toothpaste. SHe's hooked. I can't imagine bath time with 6 kids. I'd have to have a small swimming pool to get it done:)

Anonymous said...

what can I say? I like clean kids!