Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Ghost and the Darkness

I had a dream last night that was a lot like the movie, The Ghost and the Darkness. The movie is based on the true story of two man-eating lions that terrorized a railroad crew over the course of several months attacking nearly nightly and terrorizing the workers. All in all, the lions are credited with killing over 100 men before they were finally killed. Interesting movie. I love movies based on historical events.



Anyway, in my dream, I was being hunted by these two lions. They were crazed and thirsty for blood... MINE. I was able to evade the killers throughout my dream right to the end when I finally got cornered behind a glass snack counter with a HUGE lion glaring at me from the other side. Then, I woke up.



As I layed in bed trying to calm myself from the nightmare, the thought that came to my mind was how awful it would be if that dream were true. I'm thankful to live in a part of the world where I don't have to give a second thought to man-eating creatures. The next thought that came to my mind was even more awakening for me than the nightmare.... The dream IS a reality!



I was reminded of this passage of scripture. 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9 Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. 10And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. 11 To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen.



It's easy for me to forget that I have an adversary that is seeking to devour me. It's easy for me to coast on in my easy life and forget that I'm at war. Even when times are difficult and my faith is weakened, I sometimes forget that there is a lion lurking and ready to jump in for the kill. Peter tells us here to be Sober-minded and watchful. To resist him and stand firm in our faith. James said the same things... Submit yourself to God, resist the devil, and he will flee from you.



I'm not claiming that this dream was a vision or anything like that, but God sure used it to adjust my perspective on some things going on in my life. I don't think it's a good thing to see a devil behind every bush, but I do think it's a terrible thing to forget that we have an enemy at all. I'm guilty of this at times and I always pay for it. Usually when I do this, I find myself hunkered down somewhere caught off guard and trembling at an enemy that I forgot was there. NOT a fun place to be.



Stay sober-minded and watchful. We will prevail!!



Blessings to you

1 comment:

Carole Turner said...

You should read "In a pit with a lion on a snowy day" by Mark Batterson. Amazing book but especially after your dream, you would dig it.