Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Naked and unashamed

I had this thought last night while I was bathing my children. One of these days, Jay and or Josie will likely cross a line where they are somewhat ashamed of their nakedness. I can hear it now in the echoes of my own voice and the voices of my sisters growing up. “don’t come in here mom!! I’m naked! (that’s Ne-kid, not nay-kid)

I’m not sure what flipped the switch in me, although I’m glad it switched or else things would be weird, but something definitely switched.

Right now, I’m still cherishing these early years while they are still naked and unashamed. They are so much fun. They enjoy life without any of the entrapments of sexuality, puberty, self-consciousness, etc… I think Jay would gladly take up streaking if we let him. Naked just simply isn’t an issue for him.

In my tangled way of relating things, I thought last night about Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. They were Naked (that’s Nay-kid, not Ne-kid) and they were unashamed. They were completely comfortable in the presence of the creator without any shame, remorse, or regrets. They were in complete fellowship with Him.

As I thought about this further, I thought about what Christ has done for us as believers. He has forgiven us. He has cleansed us. He has restored the fractured relationship that existed between God and man. He has made us righteous!! Even in our sinful fallen state, we can be Naked and unashamed before God. We can come before him with confidence that we are redeemed, that we are accepted, we are His!!! Even in all of our imperfections, weaknesses, insecurities, etc…

So, the question remains for me. Why don’t I? Why am I still so often hiding in the bushes from God, like Adam and Eve did, because I am naked and ashamed?

We all need to be naked before God. Be real with Him. He sees through our “clothes” anyway!

2 comments:

Phil pmintonii@juno.com said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Please remove my email address from the comment. ...thanks Phil....you can leave the comment.