Friday, September 5, 2008

First Degree Spanking

Well, Jay got his first note home from the teacher on Wednesday of this week. He was talking in class after multiple warnings and he wouldn't stay in his seat during lunch. I got a phone call from Sondra around 2pm delivering the bad news. Our immediate thought was that we were going to spank him for his bad behavior. So, for the first time in my parenting life, I was faced with the opportunity to think about having to give a spanking for several hours before the spanking was to actually occur. TORTURE!!! I was disappointed with Jay for his behavior, but not angry. Tons of questions... What actually happened? Did the teacher really do all she could to maintain an orderly classroom that aids students in behaving properly? (as a teacher, I know that 'some' responsibility falls into the teacher's hands for the proper behavior of students) Is this the first of many offenses, or just one isolated occurence?

Jay fessed up to his bad behavior (not that there was any chance I would take his word over Mrs Jones who is a friend of our family). I had him grab the spanking spoon from its place and we headed upstairs... Sondra and I had already decided after a brief face-to-face conference that spanking wasn't warranted in this case and I was certainly relieved, but the presence of the spoon seemed to be an effective attention getting device. Jay lost some priviledges that he loves dearly and was warned that he would lose more priviledges if he repeated these behaviors. So far, he has responded well and is really keen on regaining his losses.

I learned several things through this... First Degree (premeditated) spankings are much more difficult to dole out than the heat of the moment Second degree kind. Ironically, I think the premeditated method may be the best way. Another thing that I learned is that this parenting thing never seems to get any easier. Every turn in life opens up new opportunities for learning how to relate to our kids and discipline them properly. The third thing is that I really miss playing Wii with Jay. Next time, I'll ground him from something I don't enjoy as much as he does:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It has only just begun! I wish Daddy would have always had time to think about it first. I don't think it ever hurt us though...made us who we are today. Me and you anyway...Susie stopped getting them around the same time as us and should have had 4 more years of it. Haha!

We always ground ourselves to a degree...no matter what we take from our kids. Love ya Brother!

Anonymous said...

Connor got a 2nd degree spanking the other day after drawing on the TV with a Sharpie!! Still can't figure out where he got the sharpie!

Wade Hinton said...

Jay dragged my TV out onto the floor from the entertainment center about 6 months ago. Luckily, it was repairable, but it was out of commission for a couple of weeks.

I wasn't home when it happened or the second degree variety would've probably come into play.

Did you get the sharpie off?